Being at your best?

Do you know when you are at your best?

Can you recall a time when you were being fabulous?

Are you at your best right now?

What circumstances and context enable you to be at your best?

After watching a you tube video reccommeding by a friend, with Liz Wiseman, I developed an understanding that I had not been really aware of.

Most people are at the best, when they don't know.

What this translates to me as, is that, when I take on a new role or try something completely different, although I feel scared and even helpless, actually I could be at my best.

When thrown into new territory with high stakes, I know I feel exposed and vulnerable, but how I get out of this is by asking questions, seeking others' counsel, doing some research, trying things out, getting feedback and doing this all fast as being incapable and not competent does not feel great.

And what she was saying is that this is when we are at our best.

On reflection, I get this. 

I had not seen it this way before, I was seeing being at my best is when I am good at something, when I am knowledgable and when I feel confident and capable.  However when I feel that capable, the reality is that I stop asking questions, I ask less for feedback and others counsel and I may operate more alone and not seek others to help.

So yes I can see that I am at my best when doing something new and without the skills.

Does this resonate with you? Seems counter intuitive on the face of it, but after thinking it through it has offered me a new and very valuable perspective.

So if you are not at your best now, maybe it's time to do something new and different!

No comments:

Post a Comment